dew drop
About Us
Contact Us
Pure Rain Water
Pure Water from Streams & Rivers
Pure Water from Lakes
Pure Water from a Mud Puddle
Natural Distillation
Simple Water Purification (Filtering)
Water Purification from the Ocean or Sea (Desalination)
Locating a Fresh Water Spring
Digging a Simple Well
How to Locate Pure Water in Underground Streams
Pure Water from Fog (A Moisture Trap)
Where to Locate Water in an Emergency
Emergency Water Purification
Natural Water Purification Straws
Pure Water from Plants (Extract)
Pure Water from a Bio Filter
Portable Slow Sand Filter
Silver Water Purification
Camping Water Purification
Solar Water Purification
Pure Water from Glaciers and Snow Melt
Water Purification Using Plants
Purification of Radio Active Water
High Production Solar Still


I love the outdoors. Whether camping or on a day hike, being "out there" is amazing. Of course I bring a container of water; just to start, but that is usually gone by the time I reach some of the upper mountain plateaus that I like to explore. There is a multitude of mountain streams in the area along with some beaver dams scattered throughout the bushier areas.

I would say the snow run off water that feeds these streams is clean and safe to drink about 75% of the time. It is the other 25% I am worried about. I prefer to filter this water when I draw it from a water way. I use a triple stage pump style filter that I made some years back. I know the filter well and what it will clean. I chose this style for convenience, cost and personal preference. I don't like using chemical surprise. "Oh wait these tablets are 6 months good any more" plus you still have to buy them for a steady supply.

Water filters purchased from a good outdoor supply place are a somewhat good alternative. The only draw back is that you have to purchase new filter cartridges every so often. I mentioned that cost is a factor so if you use a multistage 1 micron filter medium it will set you back $5, maybe. The filters can be back flushed and re-sterilized for repeated uses. Finally, the right formula for sustained outdoor trips.

So whether camping, gold mining or just relaxing, clean water is no longer a concern.

"Don't leave home without it".


* Always be sure to test your water before using. accepts no liability for the use of the information on the site. We do our best to bring you information on clean, drinkable water.